Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The things we say
I don't know about you, but I tend to pick up sayings that have meaning only within my group of friends. A version of inside jokes, except they aren't really jokes, but more like idioms. Me and my friend Tracy, whom I've known for over 30 years, frequently have conversations that must sound like code to the uninitiated. Rob and I have our own version of "code" that's been developed over the last ten years and I noticed the other day that it's recently expanded to include several choice words and phrases from Special K's blog. We've begun to say "Meh", "I've got beans", "I'm just saying", "I'm just asking" and the other night Rob told me he had Mr. Preiss feet and I knew exactly what he meant. Wow. Someone writes a blog, you read it and somehow over time it becomes a part of your life. It's weird and wonderful and cool. Maybe we as human beings aren't so fucked up after all and world peace and understanding isn't the pipe dream that it appears to be. True, we're not crossing huge cultural barriers here, though I'd argue that Canada and Texas are not exactly close kin. But all the same, think what could happen if everyone was a blogger, all over the world and we all had connections with people everywhere across the globe. Would anyone ever bother to start a war? Yeah, it's a just a fantasy, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment