Friday, March 05, 2004

SEVENTIES TO EIGHTIES....
The end of the 70's for me in a nutshell, was, Get married at 18... support her through college at UT...move to Colorado with her... get dumped when no longer useful.
However, the move to Colorado was good. I met some dear friends that have endured the years and the miles and for that I am thankful.
When I left Austin for Colorado Springs, the only thing available was Hashish. I traded an impact wrench for 4 oz. of lebanese. Hey,this is late 70's Austin. I didn't know anybody in Colorado outside of my wifes family and they sure weren't a potential connection. I wanted some back up.
It didn't take me long to hook up, about 4 months I think it was.
This is me in the early 80's after my brush with urban cowboyism . If you want to see a cowboy, ask.

That's me on the right...we were groomsman at a friends wedding that took place in my backyard, hence the uniforms. Notice how the clogs I'm wearing offset the 45 I'm holding...
Anyway, things were different, instead of buying a bag of weed, you bought a bud folded in foil. A really big bud. We called it the "GOO" or more affectionately "TV weed".
I once watched an entire hockey game with these guys smoking the goo, when it was over no one could tell you who played who or who won, but, we enjoyed ourselves.
Ah,the Goo.
Finally, homesickness got the better of me and I came home to Austin. But not before I had the chance to live in a shotgun cabin in Manitou Springs for a few months, while it was '80-'81 in the springs, it was still '75 in Manitou. I loved it there, but the call of home eventually won out and I returned to Tex-Ass (as my Col. friends called it) and fell headfirst into the '80's that was Austin Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment