Monday, March 01, 2004

I THINK THEY WORK FOR TEXAS DISCOUNT CARPET NOW

I haven't seen any of the principals in the carpetbagger slugfest I witnessed last monday.
I guess they all got fired and are awaiting the casting call for the remake of everywhich way but loose. Or they're installing carpet for someone else.

I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS

If you don't count the interstate and the other major north/south route called Mopac or loop 1(and I don't), there are precious few ways to get from my house to the shop. The main 2 I rely on are lamar and guadalupe streets. The city has been doing repairs to guadalupe for weeks, and today was the kick off of possibly 16 months of repair to lamar, through some of the most already congested, retard driver filled sections of said road.
Austin is a city divided physically and culturally by the colorado river, north to one side, south to the other. There was a time in my life where you didn't cross the river regardless of which side you were on. For me and my south austin brethren the DMZ was 6th st.. Over the years that line has been moved to where you can't even see it anymore today ( I thought I saw it in Belton once, but it turned out to be a rainbow).
The reason I bring this up is because I'm circuitou...uh... There are multiple projects going on on all north/south routes. I live south, I work north. It's a driving DP.
I (and countless others) Can't get anywhere!
I thought I would beat the snarl by taking old dope smoking routes through neighborhoods, winding my way through town...wrong. Apparently everyone smoked dope in the 70's and they cruised my neighborhood. It's practically bumper to bumper on my street from 3:30 to 6ish most days...@ 30 mph.
And what is my rambling point?
When I think about the people that plan the street repair I am taken back to that scene in midnight express when the guards are going through the "psych-ward" passing out pills to the feeble...emphasis on feeble.
A pack of raccoons could of mapped out a better schedule.
Austin, the town that eats itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment