Tuesday, March 23, 2004

GOOD KARMA DAY
You know, some days just happen to work out. Today was one of those days. I had "set some goals" yesterday, and I'm happy to report that I avoided getting caught up in the 24 hour spiral overload that is often my life. I'll admit that it's sometimes self induced, but all the same it's a pain in the ass.
Anyway, the bubble has been pierced on this remodel thing. We didn't follow my song list, but our front yard is now free of dead, space violating, hazardous to the house and anyone near it, Trees.
Four of them gone, and good riddance. A very large mulberry on the right street side corner of our lot, who lost its legs in the flood of '02 and was just waiting for a chevette to park underneath it on the street to let loose it's earthly bond and crush said chevette...gone. A crepe myrtle growing all wild and crazy, invading our front porch and harboring yellowjacket nests by the front door, gone (this tree tried to poke my eye out once during an off load after a gig...bastard). The myrtle was not cut down to the ground but rather dug up and transferred to the owner of the tree service companies property where it will be replanted (hopefully far from any eye poking opportunities it may still possess). Being a pool guy, I hate crepe myrtles. They are the landscaping engineers cruel joke to the pool guy. Every neighborhood pool in my town
is SURROUNDED by them, with their fragile petals of white, pink and red detaching from the branch at the slightest breeze... straight into the POOL by the millions. The pool you are cleaning. I hate them.I hate landscape engineers.
A mimosa that my son climbed and played on when he was little...I will miss the memories of this tree for that reason, but will not miss it's carpenter ant infested ass.
The effect is dramatic... my front yard has been given a high and tight. I like it... it's different.
The coolest thing about all of this is it only cost 600.00. This is amazing. Arborists are generally all high and mighty about the craft and you know this because they bend you over... big time generally. They've got you over a barrel really, are you gonna spend 400.00 to remove the tree against your house or shine it on till the living growing tree destroys your roof and foundation and costs you thousands? Right, I thought so. Too bad I'm afraid of heights and chainsaws (sopranos anyone?). I could bank in this town if I wasn't.
We figured 1200.00 at least, and were obviously pleasantly surprised.
I got the critically injured golem like fridge out of the house and emptied and it is now waiting for bulky item pick up in the front yard. It has been replaced by a perky little stainless number half the size. They had one in stock and the display when I called earlier today, by the time we got there, the display was left the one in stock being sold. We got the display one for 10% off, and ordered the stainless "dorm size" one to hold adult beverages, our version of the "keg-o-rater". Decreasing space and increasing space simultaneously, we are Einstein...or something.
And finally, I heard from my remodel guy today... I'll call him Romano. He's meeting us tomorrow at 6ish to show which walls we can knock down. To quote an unsung evangelist...Hammer time!
Damn it's late! G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment