Saturday, March 06, 2004

AUSTIN... MAN...
The 80's here were, for punk rock, the golden years. The Big Boys, The Dicks, Butthole Surfers, The Skunks, The list goes on. It was the warriors equivilent to the Dillo scene played out in my youth.
In the early 80's I looked like this(thats me on the left):


Punk rock, yet so very VERY fey looking (it must've been the Smiths and the Cure)

It was all punk, all the time. We were still smoking but weed, was now $25 to $45 a quarter ounce. It was during this period that speed became popular in our circles. Crank... of the snorting variety. There was a brief reprise of acid as well. Mushrooms were a constant. In fact, I remember a time when I had eaten too many shrooms and had to go to dinner at this crazy ladies house...she was batshit speed addled crazy, and there I was at the dinner table, listening to her hold her manic court. I finally had to excuse myself to the bathroom, where I discovered butterflies...pinned down in frames covering all available wall space. Beautiful specimens... which I stared at for god knows how long sweating the mushroom toxins out of my forehead.
I missed dinner, but I didn't miss the probably 5000 times crazy lady suggested I eat a banana after they coaxed me out of the bathroom. The potassium would, apparently help bring me down. I didn't want to come down, I wanted to go home.
And so it went...the girl I was going out with at the time became my wife and in short order we:
Moved in together, got married, and had a kid.
So, here I am, it's 1985, I'm in a band,I'm married and I have a kid.Things changed.
I embraced fatherhood, and through it I got back in touch with my roots.
There was more Neil Young, more blues, and I decided to not cut my hair or shave. I had decided it was '75 again.
For the rest of the 80's I looked like this:

There was a period of balance until complications of post partum and substance abuse threw it all in the air...
There was a seperation, a diversion, a divorce, chaos and the final curtain on my misspent youth.
But I was only in a coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment