Thursday, March 18, 2004

I miss the "civilizing effects of hot water"
I don't remember the brand of on-demand hot water heater that was represented in this TV commercial, but I do remember that phrase. It probably stuck in my head because of all the camping I've done in my lifetime. Enduring a cold shower when camping is one thing, but enduring it at home in the morning definitely puts me in a mood that could easily be described as uncivilized. I was grumpy all day and my boss kept asking me if I was okay; that's not my usual nature. Unfortunately I think we are going to be stuck with this situation for a while. The gas man was out at our house yesterday to replace our ancient gas meter with a new one. In the process he did a pressure test and determined there was a leak on our side of things. They will not turn the gas back on until we fix it. To fix it, we need to pull a permit and/or call a plumber. We need do this anyway for our remodel so it makes sense to just fix the leak as part of the remodel except for the fact that our remodel guy isn't going to be back in town until Sunday and we have no idea when he'll be able to start on the project. At this rate we could be without hot water for a very long time. Rob can shower at work in the mornings, but I don't have that option. We don't have hot water where I work and even if we did, there's no shower or bathtub. I'm seriously considering putting one of our metal stock ponds up on cinderblocks so I can build a fire underneath it to have a hot bath, but the thought of cleaning it out well enough to eventually bathe in it seems rather daunting. Maybe I'll just rent a motel room twice a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment