Sunday, January 11, 2004

TATTOO CONVENTION???I'LL BE DAMNED!
There's a tattoo convention in town this weekend.I was going to go until I found out it was 15.00 to get in the door...I went to the one last year, and while I don't remember paying that much then, I figured seen one, seen 'em all. (read: I don't have the extra cash)
Ann and I were having brunch and these two women sitting across from us kept staring at me...I wondered if I had dribbled egg on my face or something...I stared back,and one of them finally spoke: "where did you get your tattoos?were they done locally?" . I answered yes and then they asked me about the convention...was I going?
They liked how bright my colors were...blah,blah,blah.
When they left a couple took their place at the table,more staring,more questions about the convention,some mutual bitching about it costing 15.00 and there isn't even a band...etc.
We finished brunch and left.Later at the grocery store,a guy that works for a distributing company I've talked to at this particular store before and the other one near our home engaged me in the same chat...then in line,another person asked who did my work and asked about the convention. Lots of people were staring...much more than usual(actually,usually it's not staring,just the hanging glance with the non spoken realization "oh yeah,this is austin...no big deal").
I have been tattooed for so long now,I don't really think about it much.Most of my friends are tattooed,and like I said, this is austin...almost everyone has tattoos. It's something we all take for granted.
I remember once,a LONG time ago,I went to a shopping mall in Piqua (sp?) ohio...I had no visible tats then,but I was wearing a Jesus Lizard T-shirt...the reactions I got were like I was walking around with my business hanging out waving it at the children passing by...over a T-shirt! It made me uncomfortable...I'm sure there were prayers for me at several dinner tables in central ohio that night.
What's the point?
Manners,for one...and tolerance...and acceptance.
And, as much as it sucks to be in this town some days...I'd rather be here than some place like Piqua,Ohio.


That's not excessive,is it? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment