Saturday, January 31, 2004

Countries I've visited; US states I've visited
This seems to be making the rounds, but I'm not going to bother posting a map since it would be mostly green. Look folks, I was born in Texas. Specifically, in Austin, TX which is pretty damn close to the middle of the state. I've always lived in Austin and to make things even weirder, I've always lived within a few miles of my childhood home. Now it takes a while to get from Austin to the border of Texas in any particular direction and if you are as adverse to flying as I am, you're limited by the amount of drive time it takes to get from point A to point B. And point B usually ends up residing still in the state of Texas when the only vacation time you get is a long weekend once and a while. I've been to Mexico. I've ventured into Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico and Louisiana. I once drove (rather than fly) to a conference in Washington, DC but all those states on the way were just a blur of scenery in my windshield while I hauled ass so I could spend three days locked up in a hotel conference room. Hardly qualifies as visiting, though I did skip out on a conference session so I could cruise the Smithsonian for a few hours. I learned my lesson on that trip and subsequently bit the bullet and took a plane to Las Vegas and Canada for other work-related conferences. But to catch a plane to just visit someplace for fun? Not likely to happen. Now I did say that if I won the lottery tonight that I would fly over to Ingerland and buy billy a drink at his favorite pub. But that's only because if I won the lottery, I could afford to fly first class so I wouldn't have to deal with someone's elbows poking into my ribs or the person in front of me reclining into my face, plus I could afford to drink enough booze that I wouldn't care that I was on a plane for gord knows how many hours. Rob, however, would not be joining me. There's no way in hell you'd get him to set foot on a plane to England, no matter how many "rocks, no salt" you poured down his throat. One of these days we would like to go to England and see where his mom's from and maybe give some of the long lost relatives a good scare, but we haven't figured out how we'd get there. I won't set foot on a cruise liner. Oceanic cruises scare me far more than planes do (I blame The Poseidon Adventure.) Rob won't set foot on a plane. And as of yet, there's no way to drive to England from here. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment