Saturday, January 03, 2004

New Year thoughts
Sorry for the lack of posts, but I've been pretending to be on vacation and typing away at the computer was just too much like work (or at least the type of work I USED to do.) Instead, I've been doing the bare minimum of housework in the mornings, practicing the art of drunken laziness in the afternoons, and my evenings... well, let's just say that the fireworks around here are not the kind that involve gunpowder. It's been a wonderful "vacation", but it has to come to an end at some point and so on Monday I'll put away the beer and start wearing my job hunting hat again (I'm not planning on giving up the fireworks.) I will be looking for a different sort of job this year as I'm no longer interested in working 50 to 100 hours a week at some high stress job where I give my all to some employer who is just going to lay me off after a few years. I no longer care about benefits or salary or responsibility or challenge. As far as I'm concerned, making burritos at Taco Bell is just fine provided I can work part-time on a day shift, but I doubt the scheduling has changed much from my high schools days when I worked at Wendy's. I can remember many times when I'd lock up at one in the morning only to have to be back again at six that same morning to open up for the produce man. Perhaps times have changed, but more likely it's that I have changed and am no longer interested in doing "whatever it takes" to keep a job. This is going to work to my disadvantage in a tight job market, but the personal aspects of my life are so much more important to me now than some paycheck would be. Funny how just a year ago, I considered my paycheck to be one of the most important contributions to my relationship with Rob. I've finally figured out that it means very little to him other than a way to pay the bills, but it took a few months of having no income what-so-ever to hammer the point home.

No comments:

Post a Comment