Monday, January 05, 2004

I had too much to dream last night... (only old farts like me will recognize the song reference)
I had one of those dreams last night, the kind that mean something. Well, they probably all mean something, but there are those dreams where you wake up knowing it means something and realize you could probably figure it out if you just thought about it for a few minutes and then there are those dreams like this one where you realize what it all means while you are still dreaming and hope you can remember it when you wake up. Even though I know what it all meant, it would be too hard to explain the underlying meaning to someone who doesn't know me very well, but I figured I'd post the dream since some of the elements came from the land of blog.

This dream starts with me speeding down through a tunnel on my motorcycle. The reason I'm speeding down a tunnel on a motorcycle is because I'm being chased by some famous woman who is only famous in the dream, not in real life - never seen this person before that I'm aware of. This woman is shooting at me and one bullet ricochets off the tunnel wall and hits me just below my right ear. I reach up and feel the wound and think "Ah, just a .22 ricochet entry with no exit wound, I haven't fallen off my bike yet and I'm really far too busy getting away from this crazy bitch to worry about it now." I manage to lose her and get to where I'm going.

The place I was going turns out to be the place that I work (in the dream) which is an office located in a shopping mall. In real life I absolutely hate shopping malls and dreaming about working in an office located in a shopping mall has been a recurring theme for the last 15 years or so. It so neatly sums up everything I hate about coworkers, corporations and meaningless work. But back to the dream... I make it into the office and my coworkers are concerned that I've been shot, but this was apparently just a small part of a major attack on the city and they are more freaked out about that. Think along the lines of the famous woman being a part of some evil crime ring bent on destroying the city. Think Comic Books.

I find that my coworkers are handling this crisis in one of three ways; either crying and wringing their hands, pushing papers around like there's no tomorrow... well, in the dream they WERE at the point of no tomorrow... or trying on clothes and shopping like mad. No one seemed to have the sense to do practical things like lock the doors, find some guns (surely some of the store owners had guns?) or call the police, the army or SOMEONE to help (Spiderman would have been appropriate, but his name didn't come up.) I'm resting on a couch wondering how I'm going to get to the hospital or a doctor with the city under attack and I come the realization that my coworkers are all completely useless and I'm going to have to get off my ass and be the one to do all that practical stuff.

So I start looking for the guns and I start organizing people into some sort of a defense. Then the music soundtrack (my dreams always have a soundtrack) starts playing "Bullet in the Head" by Rage Against the Machine and I make the connection between the "famous" woman who shot me, the song lyrics, the bullet in my head and the fact that I'm trying to organize a shopping mall full of idiots.

I reach up and feel the point of the bullet (apparently still intact) poking at the skin on the left side of my neck and think "this is going to be easy to get rid of". I walk out of the shopping mall and ride off on my motorcycle into the sunset leaving my coworkers and the rest of the city to figure out on their own how to deal with their impending doom and destruction.

If you're curious as to what it all meant, the lyrics to the song might help explain it. You can find these on the web pretty easily, but all the sites I found have annoying pop-ups and/or ads so I won't post a link here. If enough people are curious, I might try and post an explanation later.

The elements that came from the land of blog are motorcycle (just the motorcycle, not the chase/shooting part) courtesy of Blue Witch, the comic book twist from billy, the idiot coworkers from Essay and the "guns and defense" from Rob here at Depthmarker. Apparently blogs are now worming their way into my dreams. And heck, why not? Happens all the time with books and movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment