Tuesday, November 27, 2007

One of these things is not like the others
It's a common story that has been told to me by many women. It's the classic "I ran to the grocery store..." followed by some variation of "without my makeup on", "in my pajamas", "without fixing my hair" or some such ... followed by them running into someone they didn't expect to see such as boyfriend, mother-in-law, boss, etc. Well, I got to experience my own version of that last night. Now it would not be unusual for someone at the grocery to see me without makeup or my hair thrown into a pony tail, but I can say that I have only worn house shoes to the grocery store once in my entire life and that was last night. I didn't expect to run into anyone that I knew since I never run into anyone that I know at the grocery store (unlike Rob who runs into folks on a regular basis.) But of course I would this one time. Yes, while I was shuffling down the aisles in my very warm, fuzzy blue house shoes, I ran into my boss whom I have never ever seen in that store before and will probably never ever see there again. So there I was caught at the grocery store, looking like some welfare mamma in her house shoes, but while the circumstances might have been the same as the stories I've heard, the experience was not. That's because I didn't give a damn that my boss saw me wearing house shoes at the grocery store and for that matter, my boss wouldn't have given a damn if he had even noticed (which he didn't - I asked him today.) That makes it a whole different sort of story and one reason why I have never quite fit in with the other women in any office setting that I've worked. I've never understood that feeling of "mortification" they seem to experience on a regular basis in regards to other people's opinions of their appearance. And apparently not even getting caught wearing house shoes to the grocery store is going to shed any light on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment