Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Calgon, take me away
Back in my twenties, when this pinched nerve in my lower back first made it's appearance, I opted to go to a chiropractor rather than take the pain pills and anti-inflammatory drugs my regular doctor gave me. This form of treatment worked very well as needed until about seven years ago when the chiropractor decided my back was too damaged from arthritis to do the usual treatments. She referred me to an acupuncturist instead. The acupuncture gave some relief, but it was incredibly expensive. Since then I've only had a few flareups and just let them run their course, but this one... well, this one was like no other. Usually if I have lower back pain in that spot I can still sleep at night provided I lay in this one certain position (on my stomach with my right knee raised to my chest.) But last night I could only sleep for about 15-20 minutes before the pain would wake me up. I'd shift positions, but only get another 15-20 minutes of sleep before pain woke me up again and I'd have to move. And so forth and so on all night long. When I finally gave up and got out of bed this morning I thought it odd that I felt better standing up. Sitting was uncomfortable, but not the usual agony I have with a pinched nerve so I decided I could go on into work. That is until I got in my car (after much difficulty) and discovered that I couldn't put my foot on the brake pedal. I managed to get back out of the car and called Rob to see if he could come home and take me to the doctor. The doctor said I have a severe deep muscle spasm that was most likely trigged by my body's attempt to immobilize the area of pain caused by the pinched nerve. And since he was an MD, I got the usual prescription for an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer. At this point I'm desperate enough for relief to take them but I can't help but think that the money I spent on the doctor's visit, the drugs and the two days I'll be out of work might have been better spent on a trip to a spa. It certainly would have been a lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment