Friday, November 02, 2007

Advanced calendar skills needed
I get paid on the 5th of the month. Normally paychecks are available at 8 am on payday, but this month the 5th falls on a Monday. That means checks won't be available until noon because the checks won't be delivered the day before on Sunday, but rather sometime Monday morning. There was an announcement posted to let folks know so they wouldn't drive to the office at 8 am to pick up their checks (as many of them do.) The announcement seemed pretty clearcut to me, but instead it caused mass confusion. The confusion that had me scratching my head the most was that a lot of people thought this meant their direct deposit was going to be "delayed" until the 5th. Umm... if you get paid on the 5th that means your direct deposit goes in on the 5th and the announcement clearly stated that checks would be available on the 5th so where is the delay here? Ah, you think you should be paid on Friday because sometimes the 5th falls on a weekend *and* your particular bank decides to clear it on Friday instead of Monday. However, this 5th most definitely falls on a Monday and not the weekend so you'll have to excuse my looking at you like you are a complete idiot when you complain about the "delay" in your direct deposit. No matter how hard I tried to explain it to not one, not two, but a whole host of people, I could not get them to understand and they were all upset that they wouldn't have direct deposit funds in their hot little hands today. I fear that my suspicions may be true; this group of 20-something college students just might be some of the most ignorant people ever born.

No comments:

Post a Comment