Tuesday, November 27, 2007

FACE TO FACE





Me and Mac scopin' each other out.I think I really do like this grandpa thing after all.:)

I lost my helper today...the one who tried to drill a hole in his finger the other day.He pissed dirty (If you get hurt on the job you are drug tested before anything else happens) and was fired.I was on my way in and he was on his way out in the parking garage.I thought he was going to a doctor appt. or sick or something,until I saw the paycheck envelope in his hand and he told me they had let him go because he pissed dirty.Bummer.
Now, I have strict rules about this sort of thing.You should never,ever go to work under the influence of anything,not even a hangover.Electrical work is just too dangerous to throw chemically induced stupidity into the mix.He was never high on the job and only hung over once.
I bird dogged him more on that day,for my safety and his.
Beyond that,I feel whatever you do on your personal time is your personal time.Drug testing is vague and inconclusive in my opinion,unless you are mandating some sort of morality in the workplace,it's out of hand.
He was a good hand.Our company is impacted by his loss,I'm impacted by it,he's a good kid and I'll miss working with him.
Secret life of Walter Mitty aside,he was a competent apprentice.
A shame really,and a sign of the times I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment