Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Heard on the radio
I was on my way home from work tonight and there was a discussion on the radio about the effects of higher gasoline prices on the environmentalist movement. There were several comments about the higher prices causing people to buy more fuel efficient cars. That sort of response struck me as odd. After all, new cars aren't cheap. If I bought the cheapest thing out there and paid cash, I'd still be spending at least $10,000. That $10,000 would buy a heck of a lot of fuel even at $10/gallon. Then again, maybe they are referring to the wealthier folks in this country with their Expeditions and Hummers but I doubt those folks are going to be feeling that much of a pinch from higher fuel prices. It's the poorer folks that get hurt the most since fuel costs are a bigger percentage of income, but these are also the folks who can't afford to go out and buy a new "fuel-efficient" car. So that kind of reasoning just strikes me as way off base, but apparently the "experts" know better. I do know that I, for one, will certainly not be running out to buy a new car as the result of higher gas prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment