Tuesday, November 02, 2004

JUST RAMBLIN'

Work sucked today...I was working with 1" conduit and I couldn't bend it right to save my life...three tries before I got it-almost-right. Very frustrating. I had this other apprentice helping me in the afternoon, but that's like the blind leading the blind. And it was intentional, my journeyman gave me this part of the job because he knew it was challenging and I need to be challenged. It involved bending pipe in ways I'm not yet proficient in. We worked it out eventually, but then it was time to bore through a cinder block wall with a hammer drill with a 1 &1/4" bit. We got the hole drilled, but for some reason, it just wasn't working. A very discouraging day...my journeyman likened it to shooting pool, sometimes you're on, sometimes you're not. Today I was definitely NOT. Oh well.
My son and his fiance picked me up after work and gave me a ride home since Ann was in training and also needed to vote, they hung out for awhile watching election returns and just shooting the shit...they were also here last sunday evening for a visit...two visits in a week! I hope this is a trend that continues, I like spending time with them.
Two of my old coworkers from Hines came over last night and hung out...it was nice to see them, they left a note on our door today inviting us over for dinner, but we had Kyle and Brandy visiting. After a long stretch of solitude, suddenly we have to offer rainchecks.
I think Ann and I would be comfortable never seeing anyone outside of the obligatory work interactions, just hang at the house. It's so easy easy to fall into hermit mode, but the last few days have reminded me of the value of company,family and friends.
Which brings me back to my sucky-ass day. I spent most of my working life dealing with people almost exclusively...I can help you work through your issues regarding your abusive parent with my eyes closed. Well, I used to anyway...I just don't have the heart for that kind of madness anymore...but my point is...dealing with people vs. dealing with a 10 foot stick of conduit is a complete mindfuck for me...I'm having to reorient my brain in a way that makes my brain fucking HURT sometimes...
I should have brought the rest of my turtles in tonight- for the winter- I am not prepared for them to hibernate outside this year. I'll bring them in tomorrow, Sid, the horribly bad tempered skink too. It will be a winter of rubbermaid tubs and bathtub soak rotations every other day, but also a time to reconnect with my ancient friends. My outdoor pens have been there for so long they are self substaining, which = I can shine them on for days if I want to and not worry.Maybe a hands on winter is what I need.
Feeling fragmented sucks...I need to feel whole again, and I think I can feel it coming together...maybe this winter...maybe.
Just ramblin'...ya know?

[Listening to: Way Back To The Bone - Trapeze - You are the music...We're just the band (5:36)]

No comments:

Post a Comment