Friday, November 19, 2004

Another day, another dollar
I've passed the half-way point of my second week on the phones and things are going okay. I don't seem to be near as stressed out as my coworkers, though they've been there a bit longer so maybe my time will come. It's not the kind of job that travels with you after you hang up your headset and head out the door so even my worst day fades after a few beers and a good night's sleep. It doesn't take much effort to be polite, patient and kind with complete boobs who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer since I've doing that for years in one form or another (just not over the phone.) And if you are reading this blog, then you are NOT one of the idiots I'm talking about no matter how technologically challenged you may think you are. You ain't got nothing on these folks. On the other hand, the angry, screaming customers who think everything is somehow MY fault and I should magically fix it DO frazzle my nerves a bit at times (especially if I have several in a row), but as I said, after a few beers and a good night's sleep it's all ancient history. The part of this job that wears me out is when I don't know the answer, when I have to frantically search the knowledge base, Google the web or IM the level twos in order to solve some weird problem in under 20 minutes. That's still happening with a higher frequency than I'd like, but it's a problem that more experience should solve. Maybe after a month or two I'll have enough energy when I get home to do something besides eat dinner, drink a few beers and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment