Monday, November 08, 2004

%#*!$#
First real day on the job and it sucked. Or rather, I sucked. I haven't done this poorly at a new job in over 20 years. It wasn't the customer service that sucked or the technical knowledge since I hit the same end of the road that any level two would have hit on some of those calls. No, it was the process of using the phone system, the call tracking database and the knowledge base. If I were a quarterback and the "system" was a hike from the center, then I would probably have had a 40% fumble rate. Sigh. Maybe things will improve tomorrow, but if I'm still this much of a klutz at the end of the week then I'll be begging them to fire me if they haven't decided to do that already. It's a good thing I wasn't cursed with this perfectionism as a young child or I would never have learned to walk. I'm trying really hard to remember my first week as a switchboard operator back in 1980. I'm convinced it was the same sort of experience, but the memory of that struggle has faded completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment