Sunday, November 21, 2004

I may have a future at this job after all
Today was the end of my second week of tech support. My supervisor was working today so I stopped by his desk on my way out and asked him to look up my call stats. I was a little concerned because I felt that I had been taking way too much time on calls, even for a newbie. Much to my relief, my average length of call is two minutes under the preferred amount and my average number of calls per hour was, to quote my supervisor, "really good." I'm a bit confused about the number of calls per hour statistic since I have absolutely no control over how many calls come my way. The phone rings and I answer it. When I hang up after a call, the phone rings again and I answer it. If I should happen to be sitting there twiddling my thumbs for two minutes (not that it happens very often) then there's nothing I can do to pull a call my way. I'm not sure how a person could end up with a "bad" average on the number of calls per hour, but there must be a way or it wouldn't be a performance tracking point. I suppose one could just not answer the phone and let roll over to someone else, but there's no way I could sit there and just let the phone ring. That would drive me insane. Ringing phones ignite my "it's making an obnoxious noise, I must stop it" response and the only way to stop it is to answer the damn thing. I feel the same way about alarm clocks, oven timers and pagers. I've even been known to flee the Home Depot if there is a forklift operating that's sending out it's beep-beep-beep warning for an extended length of time. That sort of thing just drives me nuts, but I digress. Given the stats, it appears that I average about 50 calls a day and, quite frankly, that doesn't seem like much given the call volume I've had at other jobs. Other jobs where I was juggling far more duties than just answering the phone. Hmm... I'm starting to like this tech support gig more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment