Tuesday, September 14, 2004

WHAT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN? V.2

I saw some phototoons over at BartCop today that would suggest assault weapons haven't been available
for the last 10 years, and, since it expired we can expect armegeddon in the form of waves of shootings and killings attributable to the availability of assault rifles.
This is simply not the case...They have been available all along. I was and am a Clinton supporter and a democrat...well, libertarian would be more apt, but whatever.But I have to agree that this particular
legislation had "feel good" written all over it. At it's core, it was meaningless. As I've pointed out, you could still buy them...they just had the regular stocks, smaller magazines and you could see the muzzle
flash. Obstacles easily overcome by walking to the next table.
I like the Brady bill, I think you should have to meet a basic set of criteria before you can buy any kind of firearm. I am a proponent of responsible gun ownership.
Did you know (in Texas, anyway) Individuals walk around gun shows with signs on their backs advertising guns for sale? You can buy these guns without filling out any paperwork. Hardcore proponents of the 2nd
amendment would call this an inalienable right, I would call it a loophole.
My Father was a weapons/ munitions guy in the military...I have been around guns all my life. I lived in a house that, at any given time, had 3 or more guns on the premises. I grew up handling and shooting
a variety of guns, hand and long. I believe in sensible gun control, not politicized lobbyist controlled bullshit.And certainly not politicized left wing bleeding heart horror story driven crybaby bullshit.
I am reminded of a Clash lyric: "When they kick down your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun"?
The assault weapons ban was a mirage...get over it.Buy a gun...it's your right to defend yourself, and you should be able to, if you find yourself in that position.

[Listening to: Peaceful Death - Dead Horse - Peaceful Death And Pretty Flowers (4:55)]

No comments:

Post a Comment