Friday, September 24, 2004

Distracting the Mind
I spent the evening of day two doing laundry at the third world laundromat next to the third world grocery store (HEB on Congress.) There I spent over an hour with Spanish music videos on the TV and not a single word of English spoken in the place. It didn't take much effort to pretend I was on vacation in Mexico and had gone into town to do some laundry because, of course, I was on an extended vacation and my quiet little beach bungalow didn't have a washer or dryer. I hadn't brought a book to read so the best activity I could come up with was to people-watch and make up stories about them set in the context of the laundromat in Mexico fantasy. Then I switched the location back to where I really was, a laundromat in South Austin, and noticed how the stories changed. It was an interesting exercise.

Yesterday, I spent the entire day playing The Sims. It's the perfect game to play when you're feeling a bit out of control in your real life, but by the end of the day I was quite bored with it all. I have no idea what I'm going to do today, my last official day of rest. Maybe I'll bake some bread.

[Listening to: Bloody Mary - The Jesus Lizard - Head / Pure]

No comments:

Post a Comment