Sunday, September 26, 2004

BUDDY

I got buddy in colorado springs shortly after I seperated from my first wife. He went everywhere with me for almost 14 years. He was a great dane husky mix. He was my best friend. He was so much more than a dog...he was a 125 lbs. of soul, totally dedicated to me. We were connected. He rolled through all the bullshit and stayed loyal to me. I taught him the usual shit but he knew so much more...he had a conduit to my heart and reacted accordingly. He was the most awesome dog.
He was a constant source of amazement when it came to just knowing how to be, he could read people and other dogs and telegraph the situation to me in no uncertain terms. When it was ok it was, when it was time to move on, it was. When it was past the time to move on, he intervened...all tooth and claw.I never taught him any of these things, he was just that way. Loyal.
But otherwise, he was a gentle loving 125 lb. puppydog.
If my math is correct, this is the month he was born. And the Steve Earle song that was playing when I stated this post reminds me of when Buddy died.Way back in 1992...and you know what?
I am not over the loss. We never went to the carribean together, or mexico for that matter...but I can't remember if we said good bye.

[Listening to: Goodbye - Steve Earle - Train a Comin' (4:57)]

No comments:

Post a Comment