Friday, May 28, 2004

TRANSCRIPT - ROUND 2 - MEMORY LANE

I went back out to my high school, after receiving 2 calls from there. One was the records lady who told me I did indeed have to come to the school to get it, the other was from the superintendent who apologized for sending me on a wild goose chase.
There is major construction going on out there, so what was the front of the building 27 years ago is now nestled in between the fine arts center and some unidentifiable building in progress.
Once inside, I was flooded with memories. "There's my old social studies room - and the english classrooms - and the art room." Then I was out in the commons area, a huge open area lined with lockers with a stairwell to either side. As I climbed the stairs I remembered how the jocks and rednecks used to try to spit on us from above as we walked by.
Such fond memories!
Anyway, I was directed to the counseling office and got my transcript. They didn't charge me since I had to make 2 trips, which was a nice gesture. I half-heartedly asked where the shrine for Toody Byrd was (Her real name, I swear). Toody was the greatest school counselor ever.Period.If it wasn't for her a lot of us (myself near the top of the list) would have never made it this far.So, I wasn't being sarcastic about the shrine, in my mind she is St. Toody, saver of lost souls.
Imagine my delight when they pointed across the hall to the Toody Byrd Career Center! She no longer works for the school, but is very active with the center. I left a note with my phone #'s and email which they will pass on to her.
Two short stories about me and Toody...
I moved out of my parents house and in with my girlfriend with 12 weeks left before graduating. I was no longer in the district. Since I had wrecked my car, I had to hitchhike to school every day. With about 6 weeks to go, a counseling intern picked me up and wondered what I was doing so far south.Like a dumbass I told him. He told Toody, who tried to compel me to move back home. I wouldn't budge on the matter and finally it became our secret. She knew how important graduating was to me (and her apparently)so this little detail was swept under the rug. I graduated on schedule.
Flash forward 15 years.....
My mom had just died of cancer, my dad was stroked out in a nursing home and the onus fell on me to make all the arrangements for my moms memorial service. (it's a real mindfuck to have your mom handed to you in a brown cardboard box from the crematory)
Anyway- I was setting up the guest book and I heard THAT voice behind me. I turned around and there she was. It was like her radar had gone off and she knew I needed her. I was reduced from stoic son to blubbering idiot instantly. She gave me a big ol' hug, and I knew it was gonna be ok. She's magic like that.
I hope she calls...I would really love to see her, to catch up on the last 12 years.
If you'll excuse me, I have to go get a tissue......

No comments:

Post a Comment