Saturday, May 22, 2004

AN INTERESTING DAY

As I pulled into the physical plant this morning I was twinging with that "will they like me"? Anxiety experienced when entering new territory. This was floating ominously behind the "can I hack it"? self doubt experienced when starting a new job. I know one thing for certain, no, make that two- 1.Electricity is my friend and 2.Electricity can kill you in a heartbeat. Looming somewhere in the background was "will anyone freak on my appearance"?
I was also wearing long pants, or, as we used to call them at my old job, big boy pants. I have been wearing shorts almost every day for the last six years and this was definitely an adjustment. A minor detail to be sure, but it was contributing to my general state of semi-freaked outness.
I met a lot of people today and they were all very nice and made me feel welcome. Probably the most noteworthy interaction occurred at the supply building.
Me and the other apprentice went to get conduit, fittings, hangers,and flex conduit for our job at the supply building. The staff there are, with one exception, all black men in their late 40's early 50's, with the one exception finishing his last day and moving on. It was like being on the set of barbershop, but instead of cutting fades, these guys were issuing material. Non stop banter and bullshit flying everywhere.
I received a hearty greeting. Then the supervisor asked me:
"Son, how long you been in Travis county"?
Me: "Since '67".
Super: "You from New York originally though, right"?
Me: " Yes, but my Dad was shipped overseas when I was"...
Super (cutting me off): "See?! I can tell man, I can TELL"(chuckles to self).
Now...How the fuck did this guy I have never laid eyes on in my life know where I was born???? Was it a good guess
or was he so attuned to dialect ( My Dad was from the east coast, my Mom from England) that he could pick up faint traces of new york tinged goo-goo's and gaa-gaa's in my voice? I was overseas before I really started talking and the first complete sentences I made were in french...go figure, must've been a good guess.
I haven't been called "son" in a long time either.
Anyway, The day raced by, and before I knew it it was time to go home. I learned about the operation some, and I got my first formal lesson in using a pipe bender and how to figure measurements for particular bends and kicks. It was cool.
I was encouraged to sign up for apprentice school and to join the union and offered help in doing so.
I thought about it and decided that I have an opportunity here to learn a trade and that I would be foolish to pass it up.
So I'm not going to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irene is spending the weekend with the "dog whisperer"...sure, Theo and Sullivan are here, but I will miss her snuggles. She is very much my dog. Sunday can't get here fast enough.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A buddy of mine (and his twin brother) turned 50 today. They had a party with amazing food and drink and good company. Ann and I went there with Joel and a good time was had by all. Seems like most of my old friends are 50 or fast approaching it...oh shit! I'm next! kept running through my head. I have known this friend for almost 22 years. Time flies man, I'm reminded of that alot lately and it's true. 50...DAMMIT! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damn! It's late! Gotta go sleep now.
G'night Jon-Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment