Tuesday, May 04, 2004

FULL MOON FEVER

Things were always full tilt at any hospital or center I worked at during a fuller. They have always had an effect on me too. Back in the day, a full moon gave me the energy to keep up with the chaos at wherever I was working.
These days it just keeps me up at night with random thoughts racing through my head and an increased tolerance for mind altering substances. This is a bad combination.
I used to love a full moon. They meant full moon parties at the lake, a fellowship with the other members of my tribe, a time to party and rehash exceptional moments for our tack and trade. The rest of the cycle was filled with the making of those exceptional moments. I remember observing an 11 year old boy locked in a security room trying to give him his "conditions for release", but he was more invested in scratching his gums until they bled and spitting it on the observation window calling us every name in the book. How did this child, this baby, come to be so full of hate? It wasn't the moon...but it was a trigger, of that I am certain. A celestial reminder of every ugly thing that had happened to him in his short life. Full moon fever indeed. But I don't do that anymore, and the few people I keep up with from those days don't do it either...not exactly anyway.
These days I just sit, wired and anxious, trying to rid myself of these memories by rehashing them, over and over...to try to make some sense.
Then the moon phase repeats itself and I'm ok again.
Wow...that sounds really fucking crazy, huh?
I wonder how many of my old soldiers feel the same way?
It's never come up in conversation. Go figure...

No comments:

Post a Comment