Wednesday, May 19, 2004

THE END IS IN SIGHT...REALLY

We're down to trim work and final punch lists. We're having a grout party Saturday (sounds like fun huh?), the plumber and the electrician are coming tomorrow to finish up and then it's down to the buying of furniture and settling in.
We can hardly wait.
We will board the dogs out over the weekend so we don't have to contend with incessant barking during the grout party. The boys will go spend the weekend with Bruce our vet and Irene will spend the weekend with Ann's boss the dog trainer, and his dog, the dog training dog. Should be interesting, but I have to admit, I am a bit nervous about what Irene will experience this weekend and I hope she doesn't end up bearing a grudge that culminates in her ripping my throat out in my sleep sometime in the future.
Speaking of biting...The other night it rained and in the morning I found Sid ( the horribly ill tempered blue tongue skink ) balanced on his water dish that was floating in about 2" of rainwater. It occurred to me that I had at my disposal a perfectly good and vacant 4'x8' pen in the greenhouse. I moved Sid in. He now has more land than he's ever had, a water dish large and deep enough to qualify as a swimmng pool and 2 hidey holes. That's right: TWO hidey holes.
If there is such a thing as skink nirvana, Sid is there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tomorrow I go to the city offices and take out an electricians apprentice license. Then I go for a pee test, passing that, I proceed to the company and fill out paperwork. If all goes well I will be on the job at 7:30 Friday morning.
Electricity has always freaked me out, there's a reason for this, and a story......
When I was a sophomore in high school, we were practicing a play in the hallway of the second floor by my english lit. class. There were no light switches in the hallways at my school. They were little key holes in place of switches to prevent the continual turning on and off by the student body. I was determined to douse the lights in the hall because I thought it would be "funny", I refer you to the yearbook picture I posted awhile back in case any of you are wondering why I thought turning out the lights in the hall would be funny.
Anyhow, every self respecting stoner had a roachclip, mine was tweezer like sterling silver with a ring to hold it closed and the roach in place. It had a really cool tooled leather fob with an armadillo and a pot leaf on it.
I removed the ring and spread the tweezer part out and ever so sneakily started sliding one side of my trusty roachclip into the keyhole, certain that hilarity and peer approval would be my reward, plus irritating Ms. Ware, my teacher, would be an added bonus.
Fame was not to be had however, I was so focused on not being seen that I didn't notice the other side of my trusty roachclip coming dangerously close to the switchplate. I grounded out on the switchplate and the resulting shock/explosion blew me across the hall into the opposite wall and onto my ass. My trusty roachclip was an amputee,the molten blackened end still gripped in my singed thumb and forefinger. I had blown all the fuses on the entire northeast wing of my highschool...both floors. When Ms. Ware realized I was still alive, she said simply, "You know where you need to go right"?
I marched myself down to the asst. principals office for my comeuppance, which turned out to be nothing since Mr. electricity had already spanked me enough.
And now, these many years later, I will possibly meet Mr. electricity again, only this time there is no roachclip in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment