Monday, May 03, 2004

DAMN...I'M 2 FOR 2.

We have around 800 CD's, and they are everywhere, In the cars, in the racks, in those zippered carrying cases of 20- 30- 40- or more. Stacked caseless 20 at a time on the computer desk, getting gradually scratched beyond playability.
Thin Lizzy-Therapy?-Black Sabbath-Johnny Winter (get any on ya?)- spread out everywhere.
Tonight I hit 2 in a row...in the rack and in the case, ready to play.
First up: Black Sabbath: Sabotage.
This is , in my opinion, Ozzy at his poetic best, at least for the disaffected 15 year old's like I was. You know he has to listen to this old stuff and revel in the fact that he fucking rocked once and then jump straight to "what the fuck happened"? Fair question Oz, DRUGS and ALCOHOL happened. And they happened to you in a big way. But, still, Thank you for being a guiding light through my adolescent years and a source of much happy nostalgia these so many years later...30 to years to be exact.
30...30 years ago I first heard "War Pigs" think about that for a minute...30 years and War pigs in the same sentence. Amazing.(Saw them open for Mountain at the Palmer in '71 and it was cool...The '77 tour with Van Halen sucked. Van Halen kicked Sabbath's ass.
Next up: The Afghan Whigs: Gentlemen.
Ouch....Take gut wrenching dispair, add an ice pick in the ear and the most dismal, heartbreaking lyrics set to perverted R&B and you have the 'Whigs. This guy likes drop tuning and the singer is a fucking nut....saw them at Liberty Lunch in 2000...I think.
I probably shouldn't listen to music that disturbs me..but I love the history that unfolds in my head. And you thought it was just music...HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment