Wednesday, May 26, 2004

PLUS, THE LOGO IS COOL

I am about to join a union, if they'll have me. I went to their website and perused...sounds good to me, fair wages, good benefits, representation. They are also involved in the apprentice school, which I am also applying for.
It seems that an important criteria for acceptance is a full credit of algebra. I don't have a full credit of algebra on my high school transcript. While I'm on the subject, let me restate: high school transcript.
I graduated from high school 27 years ago. In 1977 algebra was optional, it was not a requirement to graduate. I took related and consumer math instead. For 2 reasons. 1. I believed at the time that related and consumer math would see me better in the future because it was so much more practical and real world oriented than that ae + 2 = aeae - zdx44+ae - 1 = migraine world of equations that meant nothing to me. 2. I hated math.
Actually, I hated coaches, and they taught math at my high school, hence: algebra + coach / contempt for authority X hatred of jocks = I hate math. Funny how the pot addled mind works, innit?
When I was in college, algebra was a requirement for my major ( which was commercial art at the time )and I was half way through the semester (and passing!) when I rolled over a fiat and almost killed myself and was forced to take an incomplete in algebra.
I learned 2 things from that experience. 1. Algebra's not so bad when there isn't a sweaty bigoted redneck teaching it, and 2. NEVER put a radial tire on your front left and a non-radial on your front right. I'm sure there is an equation out there somewhere that proves this theory, but I was so busy learning how to do the math to figure out insurance stuff and bank accounts I missed out on the opportunity to discover it.
But, the thing that amazes me the most is that I can still GET a copy of my high school transcript, 27 years after the entire staff of my alma-mater (cafe ladies included) burnt me and my friends in effigy in an effort to cleanse the hippy / river rat vibe from their hallowed halls. Interestingly enough, I have to go to the registrars and fork over $5.00 to get a hard copy of the shame that is my high school transcript. The apprentice school requires that it be faxed directly from my high school, I guess to prevent me from penciling in that credit, and gaining admission to the school under the false pretense of knowing basic algebra.
I can take a test to meet the requirement, and I will, unless being over 40 somehow waives it. We'll see.
This logo is cool though, innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment