Monday, May 24, 2004

THE SEVENTH LEVEL OF HELL

Since this apprentice thing is actually looking like it might lead somewhere, I decided I should update my tool selection from pool guy essentials to electrician essentials. Most tools are interchangeable in this case but I did need a new set of nut drivers and screwdrivers. Which I purchased tonight at the local home depot. I also treated myself to a new smaller toolbag since the one I had for my pool guy adventures is huge. No need for a big tool bag when your primary duties begin and end with "bring me...(insert drill, ladder, pipe bender, etc)...over here...thanks".
However...I have noticed that the journeymen I've been working with sometimes are missing a "wish I had one now" item essential to the forward motion of the job. I have mentally compiled a list of these items so far and added them to my new compact black canvas tool bag.
These items include a full set of drill bits (?), a full set of nut drivers (ok...this one is understandable, nut drivers, like screw drivers are the left socks of the tool world). Electrical tape...yes...ELECTRICAL tape (!?!).
I will be "johnny on the spot".
Anyway, it's the screwdrivers I bought tonight I want to talk about. Not the screwdrivers specifically (although they have comfort grips that are red and black...yes!:))but the packaging. It's one of those 20 piece "value" sets. I got it because it was the best value for quality and I could fill my tool bag and have plenty leftover for the tool drawer at home. That is if I could get them out of the FUCKING PACKAGE!!!!!!!!!AUUUGGGGHHHHHH! I hate this!
You know what I'm talking about...In the pool bidness it's called "clamshell" packaging. It's the jumbo version of the packaging batteries come in, edging out paper ever so slightly as the manmade material most likely to mutilate your fingertips. Who came up with this shit??? Is he/she still alive??? If so can I kill him with a knife fashioned from his/her satanically conceived packaging invention???
I belabor the point.
That I can't find our scissors to open said clamshell packaging only contributes to my irritation. Speaking of, here are some other things I can't find:
My meter...who knows?
My small red maglite flashlight...again, who knows?
My channel locks, "robo-grip" pliers, wire saw, wire strippers...the list goes on. I could not endure a tool easter egg hunt tonight. My tools are hopelessy comingled with the remodel folks tools, a sort of orgy of industry if you will.
I'll take what I have and be done with it until these items resurface or I replace them.
Fucking MEH.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ann is still giving my computer the old electronic in-out in-out. It seems I have retained all my files, but have lost all my programs with which to manipulate them by. Programs.gone.must re-INSTALL.must not deviate from mission.
The long and short of it is this: I won't have my trusty 'puter back until at least tomorrow.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get my drill bits off the picnic table on the back deck (unless someone moved them today).

No comments:

Post a Comment