Monday, January 21, 2008

OUR CITY IN ACTION!

Across the street from the tower is a church and an office building,between those is an alley where homeless people sleep on cardboard laid out on the ground.Today was shitty,drizzle and rain all day and low 50's.I noticed from our vantage point on the 7th floor this one guy had not moved in almost 4 hours,you could see the wind flapping his shirt around,but he was still.I wondered-is he passed out from a binge on wild irish rose or is he dead?After consulting with my co workers,I called 311,the non emergency version of 911.I explained the situation to the responding operator,who promptly transferred me to 911.Funny thing though,as if on cue,as soon as the first operator answered,that motherfucker rolled over.I was trying to tell the 911 operator that he had moved,and was most likely ok,but he was bent on asking me a litany of inane questions,verifying the location of the possibly dead,yet moving indigent at least 4 times.Some sample questions:
"Is the person standing,sitting or laying down"?I told you already,laying down.
"Is the person breathing"?I can't tell...from the 7th floor across the street.
And all the while assuring me it was ok if I couldn't answer these questions.
My call was abruptly terminated when the operator had to answer another 911 call,but he assured me help was on the way.
I hung up and instantly the air was alive with the wailing of sirens!The ambulance turned the wrong way down the one way street and roared into the alley,lights a blazing.The EMT's leapt from it and basically scared the shit out the guy,who jumped up,gathered his shit and walked away.
One of my co workers chuckled and said"Damn Rob,you fucked up his beauty sleep".
Indeed.Poor guy,I was trying to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment