Saturday, January 12, 2008

ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER

So,I saw Woody on Friday,found Wendi's my space page and threw a couple of messages back and forth with her,and then I called their father.We go back a long way...a really long long way actually.
We've stayed in touch sporadically over the years,but not so much in the last 3-5 years.
We decided to meet at Patsy's cowgirl cafe for dinner and to hear a local cover band called the eggmen.If you guessed they are a beatles cover band you would be right.
Patsy's is a relatively new place,a roadhouse eatery.
A good time was had by all and it was really nice to see them again and catch up.I know we'll be doing it again in the future as well.As I've mentioned in previous posts,there seems to be a trend of us connecting with old friends,renewing friendships left dusty from too much...uh...other shit going on and our homebody like lifestyle.
I can't remember the last time Ann and I went out to hear music made by other bands besides our own,it was very nice,and I don't think we could have picked a better band to reintroduce ourselves to the act of going out.
These guys are very good at what they do and have it broken down into sets,the sets chronicle the beatles career trajectory.Set one is the early stuff,set two is the psychedelic period and set three is a mish mash of other bands of the time(we missed that one as it was way past our bed time:)).Set two was my favorite,just because I really love that period for the beatles and the version of I am the Walrus was nothing short of amazing.
They had costume changes and sound effects,and the dancing!The crowd I mean.What a cross section of people twisting and swimming and frugging away like mad.It was a joy to watch.Mostly it was middle aged women out there shaking it and it was a vibe you could feel,they were having a great time.
And so did we.
Added bonus:Jalapeno Charlie was our waiter!He's been a fixture on the austin restaurant / bar scene forever and it was nice to see he's still kicking!He remembered me and Ann from the El Mercado days.
All in all,a very cool saturday night...and it is way past my bedtime,so good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment