Wednesday, January 16, 2008

CHILDHOOD IS OVER RATED

For the neighbors great-grandkids that is.I have lived in this house a long time,off and on since 1976,and steady since 1992.To have a window into the lives of other people is a mixed bag to say the least,but first,a little background.
The neighbors have a son (my age),who married young and had 2 kids in a row.For reasons somewhat unknown,those kids spent most of their lives at the grams house,with the mom never around,and the dad making periodic visits between uh,I'll call them "appointments" with the state (I'm only going on what my mom told me,she was the busy body).
Anyhow,flash forward a few years and lo and behold, the daughter gets pregnant and married and has what we can only estimate as "2 to 4" children with her cholo looking husband.
Guess what?These children spend most of their time next door,sans mom and dad.Their driveway is in close enough proximity to our desks that we can hear the wails of despair when they are dropped off (or picked up for that matter,it's hard to say what disturbs them most),sometimes daily.These kids are always crying and screaming and wailing.
These protestations are met with a litany of shut ups and threats of giving them something to cry about,in between the parents/family members arguing and yelling amongst themselves.
We have to hear this shit almost every day.
There is no indication of abuse,just turmoil and unhappiness.And while on the face of it it is annoying,it is also heartbreaking to hear these kids cry about not wanting to be separated from mom and dad.
There was action at this house in the past,but not since Ann and I have been in it (except for the police visits for noise complaints...and there have been many).Our neighbors are good people over all,I have no truck with them,but sometimes I wonder how they ended up this way.So full of conflict and discourse.
But mostly I'm irritated by having to hear it all the god damn time.

No comments:

Post a Comment