Wednesday, September 26, 2007

STEREO WARS

Over the years we have accumulated a veritable plethora...nay,more like a virtual miasma of audio equipment.There are the PA's (2),the monitor amp,the Adcom amp and receiver,the Audio Centron power amp,the Phonic 62 channel EQ/booster.Then there's the lower end of the spectrum...the Technics receiver,the Insignia receiver.
And speakers...the PA speakers,the PA monitors,the Polk floor speakers (RIP...but they lasted 10 years),the Insignia bookshelf speakers(cheap,yet quality,temporary replacements for the polks).And some 20/20 studio monitor speakers (high dollar shit for the bands recording efforts).
We lost the right channel on the Insignias a couple weeks ago,which is what prompted me to blast out the living room of all entertainment devices.
After that,I lasted about a week and put together a simple music set up in the living room which prompted Ann to embark on her CD-a-thon mission.
But there was a problem...no right channel.No matter what I tried.It was infuriating and confounding.After much cussing and a couple of hours of mix and match and a repair to one of the 20/20 speakers (I had to make up a jumper wire from the cone to the terminal--god damn wire chewing rats) we now have:Ann's laptop patched into the Adcom receiver which is patched into the Audio Centron feeding the 20/20's,giving us the bass response we both like and the volume capability I need because I'm deaf.
My semi long range plan is to replace the fuses in the Adcom amp and rejoin it with the receiver and buy some new bookshelf speakers...maybe at christmas.
On a less technical and certainly more pleasant note,I saw my son,daughter in law and grand daughter at lunch today.Mac is growing like a weed and her eyes are still a brilliant blue!Maybe the recessive gene has taken hold.
I also saw my bud Rusty today,he was at the T.O.E bending some pipe.
And then just a few minutes ago I saw Billy Davis, surviving twin of Mark (Rock star...RIP).
Not a bad day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment