Friday, September 14, 2007

Domestic Day
I spent the last four days doing nothing. Well, I suppose you could count playing Sim City 4, listening to Pandora radio and taking naps as doing something, but those are all pretty passive activities. Most people that know me would expect I'd play World of Warcraft or The Sims on my vacation, but those games required more thought and strategy than I was willing to invest. I was more interested in turning my brain off for a while and Sim City 4, when played a certain way, is quite effective in that regard. I also didn't study for my ham radio exam so I won't be taking the test tomorrow. I just wasn't in the mood to study and it didn't make sense to do something I didn't want to do on my vacation. So after four days of downtime, I realized this morning I just how much stress had peeled away when I discovered that I wanted to clean the kitchen. Folks, it's been years since I've wanted to do any sort of housework. So today I cleaned the kitchen, swept the hall, did laundry, cooked dinner and baked bread. Unlike my mother, I have no great passion for housework and I definitely didn't achieve a state of bliss, but it wasn't the chore that it usually seems to be. I have a theory that housework wasn't such a big deal back when my life was more in balance as opposed to the last couple of years when I'd rather be shot than clean the kitchen. I suspect that theory might just have been proven today.

No comments:

Post a Comment