Friday, September 07, 2007

SHORT WEEK,BUT LONG...

We got a day and a half off for labor day so this was a 4 day week...payday comes earlier,the weekend comes earlier and these kinds of weeks generally pass by in the blink of an eye.
Not so this one.It was like 6 days crammed into 4.In addition to the unrelenting pace,the heat,the broken ice machine(= no cold water),the elevators from hell,and the incessant chatter and general feral behavior of our "guest workers",I'll remind you that I cut myself several times,tried to drill a hole in my hand and projectile vomited tuna salad in front of my coworkers...all in 4 days.
To say that 3:30pm friday couldn't get here fast enough is a gross understatement.
Up until today,the big push was to get the bathroom ceilings ready for inspection by today,this involved some can lights(easy),an exhaust fan(also easy) and a disconnect for the air conditioner(a gigantic pain in the ass).This disconnect has to be above the ceiling yet accessible for service through the scuttle (or access) hole.The problem was the units are so small That the ceilings are cram packed with the AC unit and ducts,the sprinkler pipes,and fire alarm shit,leaving precious little room for the disconnect.Being that I am the most experienced person on the crew,it fell on me to suss it out.I took the stance that if I were a service guy,where would I want the disconnect to be located in the less likely place to A:cause you to cut yourself on the razor sharp studs,B:you would be able to fit the needed tools to provide the service,and C:wouldn't cause you to cuss like a salty old sailor the whole time you were doing said service.I've done a dozen or so of these devices,but for this particular unit there were only 4 floors.The first took an hour and a half and by the time the race was done on thursday afternoon,the last one took me less than 45 minutes.The good news this morning was we passed inspection!Hooray me and my crew!!!
Today was spent making up panels in other units,a welcome change from the bathroom ceiling marathon...making up panels gives me the chance to ply my craft,to bend wires artistically,symmetrically and sensibly.So when someone comes along a year or so down the road,they can open up the panel and know without question what's happening and have a clear path to work with.Panels are a matter of pride really...the goal being to have future electricians who have to service them think "whoever terminated this panel had their shit together" rather than "what monkey tried to fuck this football???DAMMIT!"
And with that I bid you good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment