Saturday, September 08, 2007

Car Repair 101 - Know Your Limitations
Tonight the driver's side rear window on my car decided to not roll up anymore. The car has power windows (not my choice, it came that way) and the driver's side front window had already given up the ghost by refusing to roll down. Now I prefer windows that don't roll down even if it means sweltering in a car without air conditioning and was willing to leave the front window well enough alone until such time as I could afford to get it fixed professionally (appears to need a new regulator/motor assembly.) But a window that doesn't roll up leaves my back seat open to the elements and my car open to theft of contents. That was enough to get me to take off the door panel tonight and see if I could figure out some way to get the window back up. Well, no insights were forthcoming from peering into the openings on the door frame and I ran out of daylight before I could run some jumper wires to the motor to confirm my initial diagnosis that that the motor is fried. Now in my younger days, I would have probably drug out the worklight (oops, don't have one anymore) and started disassembling various components to try and get the damn window up. Most likely I would have stayed up most of the night and accomplished nothing. But I'm older now and a bit wiser and I'd rather throw some plastic over the opening and get a good nights sleep before I go to work tomorrow. And if I have to drive it with plastic on the window and stop using it as an auxiliary storage closet until I can pay to get it fixed, so be it. Although I do think I'll take a spin by the library next week to see if they have a repair manual that could give me a clue on how to get that motor out of there to replace it.

P.S. I just realized we had failed to link to this post by Blue Witch. If you are thinking about buying a MESH computer, read this first.

No comments:

Post a Comment