Wednesday, September 05, 2007

LONG NIGHT-LONG DAY

I was just uncomfortable enough to have a hard time going to sleep and woke up about every hour through the night.Ann's picked up my "summer cold" and as a result is doing the benedryl shuffle and snoring like a freight train,between that and Theo chewing on himself almost every time I stirred,it made for a miserable night.
But I $oldiered on into the T.O.E this morning because we need the money.Upon reflection,I should have stayed home.Upon further reflection,I'm glad I didn't.Another crew was trimming out (installing plugs and switches) a condo I had wired over a month ago with a green helper and mistakes were made by us both.Nothing major or glaring,just our thinking about wiring sequence at the time confounded the other crew and we were put on the spot to remember why we did what we did a 1000 miles of wire and plugs ago.
I take mistakes very much to heart,and plus not feeling 100% led to a stress headache and some unneeded embarrassment.In the end,we straightened it out in about an hour and it was all good,but I was glad to get home.
What bothers me about this episode the most though is I have been placed in a position of quasi authority over helpers with a year or less experience.I'm not a journeyman yet and the situation calls for me to make decisions and give direction that weigh heavy on me.I take pride in my work and value my coworkers respect of the same.To look like a dumbass (my perception)in front of them is hard.
But,on the other hand,it's valuable experience and I have learned a great deal since wiring that condo.The concept is clearer to me now.
Rescue Me in an hour!Another great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment