Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Woot!
I got home from work today after one of those days, you know, the kind that happen when you have a job that sucks, and I was half-melted from the heat - it was over 100 again and me with no air conditioning in the car and a passenger window that doesn't roll down - anyway, so I get home and Rob is sitting on our porch with our neighbor and tells me that Theo bit her this afternoon. Sure enough, she's got a wound on her arm and thankfully she was pretty okay with the whole thing, but it was still rather unnerving. So I'm sitting on the porch in the heat listening to that story and the story that Rob has no work for the rest of the week and a few other stories, none of which I found particularly uplifting and I'm thinking about that cold beer in the fridge and how it really isn't going to help much, but I ought to drink it anyway if for no other reason to take the edge off the heat of the day. And so I go in the house to get the beer and either my phone rings or something happens that requires me to need my glasses and when I go to get them off my desk, I notice a package sitting there. A package for me, that Rob hadn't yet told me about. For me? I never get packages. And lo and behold it contains books! Three books, His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, books I once wanted to read, but never did. Books I forgot about until the movie came out and still didn't buy. Books that bod sent me after reading my post about how I never buy myself books. The timing couldn't have been more perfect because I was just wondering how I was going to make it through the next couple of days and now I have something to look forward to - on Thursday I can spend my day off lost in the wonderful world of fiction. Screw the housework, I have books to read! Words just can't express how thankful I am for those books. They came right when I needed them most.

Oh, and Rob found some work for Thursday and Friday (not his regular job since that's kaput right now) so things are looking up in that direction as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment