Sunday, June 08, 2008

Not such good news
I talked to my mom this morning and things aren't looking so good for my dad. If they operate or otherwise treat the one kidney then he will have to go on dialysis because the other kidney doesn't have enough function left to take over solo. But dialysis isn't a viable option since due to his medications and other health issues, he'd probably only survive a few months at best and be miserable during what time he had left. So the plan is to do no treatment, other than some dietary changes to ease the load on the kidneys which aren't working too well. He could live another year or just a few months, they can't say anything for certain. There's no point fretting about it, but the news did hit me kind of hard. I don't think Rob realized how much it affected me because he teased me about something; I took it wrong and burst into tears. It's been a long time since I felt this alone and sad. I know it's just something I have to process and tears are to be expected, but I really don't want to spend today moping around the house. So even though we don't have the money for extras, I'm going to head to the bookstore with my 30% off coupon and buy a book. I love books and I love to read, but I haven't bought myself a book in a very, very long time. However, I think it's important that I do something nice for myself right now. And maybe I'll have a piece of cheesecake while I'm there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment