Monday, June 02, 2008

DOWN HERE,WHERE WE'RE AT...THE SWEAT DRIPS OFF THE TIP OF YOUR NOSE

Dear Mark,
Here you go...enjoy.
Love,
Rob.

No,not the rock star,but my other buddy Mark,who is still in the game in Colorado.Back in the day we made tapes for each other,now it's cd's mailed 800 or so miles to a place I used to live for a short time.We talk on the phone about music and I burn him cd's and send them through the mail,like I used to send him cassettes.
I'd been telling him about Son Volt for years,and he finally got some on his own.Then the conversation turned to Wilco,he'd heard of them and had some of their stuff, but never made the connection that they were once collectively known as Uncle Tupelo.He hadn't heard a tupelo song ever...well!I can fix that.
So I burned him a shit load of Tupelo.And my favorite song.."screen door" off of No Depression is where the title of this post comes from.Once,long ago at a campout called the beat the heat retreat, LT and I pulled off the impossible,a spot on cover of this song,We'd never done it before or since,but I remember sitting by that fire and burning off a near perfect rendition of this song.It always brings a giant smile to my face.
I hope these cd's brings one to yours.
I couldn't find a decent version of Screen Door,but here's them doing Atomic Power from the same time frame...
Yee Haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment