Monday, June 16, 2008

Learning to shop
Or more like learning to want to buy things, nice things, things that might be fun to have... something like that. I've never been one to buy things for myself. Even when there are things that I want, things that I really, really want, it will often take me months and sometimes years before I actually buy them. This has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of money that might be in the bank at any given time. There was a time when we had plenty of money and Rob bought a rather expensive guitar. Yet, during the very same visit to the guitar store, I passed on a $1500 green Warwick bass, even though I loved it. I had the money, I could have bought it and yet, I passed it by. These days, I can't hardly make our monthly bills, much less spend $1500 on a bass guitar, but I suspect that even if we had 25 million dollars in the bank, I still wouldn't buy it and that's just stupid. One of these days, we are going to be out of this hole and back where we used to be, with money to burn and damn it, when that happens I'm gonna make sure I enjoy it this go 'round. And so I'm playing with a wishlist, learning how, when something catches my eye, to say "That's cool" and add it to my wish list. I've been doing this off and on for a week and I have a grand total of 32 items on my list. Now I bet Rob could add 32 items to a wishlist in 15 minutes - obviously I need a lot more practice at this shopping thing. And even though money is supposed to be no object during this little game, I still find myself choosing the cheaper version of something or thinking "There's NO WAY I'd pay $75 dollars for that." Sigh, at this rate, it's going to be a long time before I hit my goal of 200 items. Good thing this is just a game and I'm not yet a winner of a real life shopping spree.

No comments:

Post a Comment