Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A book and a coincidence
Heading off to the book store on Sunday after getting the news about my dad was a very good thing to do. When I was a little kid, I loved going to the library. I started reading when I was about two and by the age of four I had a voracious appetite for books. My mom would often take me to the central library where we would spend the entire afternoon enjoying the books, the stereoscopic pictures, the records and even the architecture because the old library was a magnificent building. I still remember the look of the worn stairs, the feel of the iron stair railings, the leather chairs, the wooden bookshelves, the musty smell of the air conditioning, the majestic windows, oh, I could go on and on with the memories. It was a magical, wonderful place. Unfortunately, that building is no longer a library. The modern libraries don't have the same vibe at all, but the Border's bookstore nearby has a pretty good feeling that's close enough for me to wander over there sometimes when I'm feeling blue. I spent time relaxing and looking through the books on the shelves which always makes me feel better. I don't know why, something about browsing shelves of books is just well, I don't know how to describe it, but it's definitely something I enjoy doing. I eventually picked out a book to purchase that was even cheaper than I expected so with my coupon I had some change left over. I decided to pick up a few items at the convenience store when I stopped to get gas since there are a few things that are actually cheaper there than at the grocery. And when I went to pay, the amount was exactly the amount of change that I had, right down to the penny! I just love those kind of coincidences, they give me such a thrill. So I was in a much better mood by the time I got home and had a nice afternoon and evening reading my book. I've managed to hang on to that mood for the last several days, though the sadness does slip in once and awhile. But overall, I'm doing good and I thank you all for the good thoughts and well wishes I've received.

No comments:

Post a Comment