Sunday, July 01, 2007

PEARL




As mentioned in a previous post,The Monterey Pop Festival happened 40 years ago.Janis Joplin blew the roof off the place.I loves me some Janis,so today I got the remastered cd of Pearl.
A landmark achievement for the blues and a road full of memories for me.Pearl was one of my dads favorite records,I've still got his vinyl copy somewhere,and he burned more than one copy on 8 track and cassette so he could listen to it in the car.
Testimony that I had the coolest dad ever...he also loved The Doors "LA Woman",Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" and even The Ramones first album.
In listening to Pearl I realized how much influence Janice had on my own music.That voice...the delivery,even some of the guitar licks,but mostly the voice...raw,unrestrained.Powerful and emotive,feral almost.
I've been playing old tapes in my head of riding home with my dad,Me and Bobby Mcgee blaring on the stereo with my dad singing along and rocking his head back and forth.
They made an amazing couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment