Saturday, July 14, 2007

MAIN ENTRY: VER-MIN

Pronunciation: 'v&r-m&n
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural vermin
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French vermin, vermine, from verm worm, from Latin vermis
1 a : small common harmful or objectionable animals (as lice or fleas) that are difficult to control b : birds and mammals that prey on game c : animals that at a particular time and place compete (as for food) with humans or domestic animals
2 : an offensive person

I'm a racist.Not in that sheet wearing KKK mindless sort of way,oh no.I'm an equal opportunity racist,nay,a verminist ,if you are an offensive person,I don't like you regardless of the color of your skin.I'm basically blind to color,but conduct is another story.
And currently my derision has been focused on the exploding population of wetbacks in this country,and in this city in particular.

Main Entry: wet·back
Pronunciation: 'wet-"bak
Function: noun
Etymology: from the practice of wading or swimming the Rio Grande where it forms the U.S.-Mexico border
usually offensive : a Mexican who enters the United States illegally

I've been around hispanics all my life,in school,in the work place,some of my oldest and closet friends have been hispanic.They've been here all their lives as well and most don't speak spanish.They are second and third generation american citizens whose grandparents and parents came here and absorbed american culture,learned the language and melded into the melting pot that used to be the united states.
A long time ago,people from all over the world came to this country for opportunity and left their country of origin on the dock at ellis island and embraced the idea of america,all for one and one for all and became citizens of a diverse nation.
But these wetbacks are here for one thing and one thing only...money.
They come here because they can earn more money than they would ever need back in their third world depressed economies.And that's where the money goes...back to the families left behind in Mexico or Honduras or El Salvador.They have no investment in the melting pot,they just want to make the money to live right in their country of origin.They won't learn the language,they don't have to because there are so many of them here now it's not a needed skill,plus the fact that we accommodate them by bilingual programs in every aspect of life here.School,work,et al.
Almost all social service jobs with the city/county/state require that you be bilingual.Any applicant who isn't is shit out of luck.There's something wrong with that.Why should I have to learn another language to gain employment in my own country?
If I decided to move to Mexico,would they accommodate me by speaking english?Fuck no,I would have to learn the language and I would,I would assimilate into the culture as required.That's how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment