Tuesday, July 24, 2007

CROSS CULTURAL COMMUNICATION

These two sheetrockers have been following me and my tool buddy around for over a week now.It seems that wherever we are roughing in devices they are coming behind us putting up one side of sheetrock.The press is on for all of us,we are expected to have 21 units completed by August 30.
Communication is essential,if they rock a wall we haven't finished roughing in,they have to take it down so we can finish.This slows them down,it slows us down.
Plus,you have the language barrier.
Fortunately,one of these guys has a very limited command of english and,in conjunction with my very limited command of spanish it's working out ok.
Good enough to the point of small talk about the heat and drinking beer and tequila.
The semi english speaking guy and me compared notes on which beers we liked,after that,he pointed to his tool buddy (who no speakee the englaise)and said he liked tequila.We nodded in agreement and then he said something (pops and squeaks people) removed his hard hat and fanned his hand at his head.I interpreted this to mean it made him sweat and responded in kind.The other guy said:"No,he say the next morning...uhhh...how you say..."?
And I said:"He means hangover"?
To which he responded by removing his hard hat and fanning at his head making pained expressions.
I imitated the pulsing of the head with my hands and said "Si!Hangover"!!!
We all laughed and went about our respective duty.
With all my bitching and moaning about these guys,these two are actually pretty cool.
Maybe it's still a melting pot after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment