Tuesday, July 24, 2007

More changes
I knew my schedule was going to change eventually, but I really did expect it to last more than just a week. I was wrong. Someone is leaving and that position is not going to be replaced. This means there will be a switch to an even worse schedule - one that involves working 4pm to midnight some of the time. Eeech. It's all up in the air at the moment and I have no idea what I'm going to end up with, but it will be one of three scenarios:
1) Someone other than myself is forced to move to nights - that someone will then turn in their notice causing even more scheduling nightmares.
2) We rotate the night shifts. I work nights for a week or a month at a time or a couple of nights a week.
3) I get assigned to the night shift which means I am the one turning in the resignation.

I wish "none of the above" was an option, but it's not because this isn't a mean and nasty decision by management, but something that has to be done. And while I fully understand the reasons behind it, that doesn't mean I have to like it. So when I say "Put me on nights and I'll quit," it's not a threat - I certainly don't expect my employer to go "We don't want to lose you so let us ignore the sound business reasons for moving a manger to the night shift." It's not a threat, just a statement of fact. Put me on nights and I will quit. Put any of the other "day-shift" managers on nights and they will quit. Make us rotate it and we might stick around for a while. Maybe. One thing for certain though, I'm very glad I'm not the VP in charge of making this decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment