Sunday, April 01, 2007

One hell of a week has a happy ending
Yes, multiple posts in one day when I usually go weeks or months with none. But it's been a different sort of day from all the days I've had lately and it comes on the tail end of a week that left me with some of the worst exhaustion I've ever felt. You see, last Sunday my dad went into the hospital for pneumonia. The prognosis was grim, but not ghastly and I went on to work on Monday to start my string of 10 to 12 hours days in the office followed by more hours at home at night in an effort to keep my job (because once again I am almost fired.) Tuesday was more of the same, but on Wednesday things started to look really bad for my dad and there was some serious doubt that he was going to pull through. I kept working since my brother was able to hang out at the hospital with my mom (and that was what my dad would have wanted me to do, Mr. Workaholic himself), but I was constantly on edge waiting for the phone to ring with some bad news. Rinse and repeat on Thursday and Friday, but lo and behold on Saturday morning things were looking up. Once again my dad had thumbed his nose at the medical community and was apparently going to pull through after all. So off to work I went (yes, that's day six in a row for those of you that are counting) and I ended up leaving the office around 8 PM. I decided to skip the hospital visit since my dad was doing better to go have dinner with Rob (who hadn't seen much of me this week.) I then went back home planning to finish up some work tasks, but my body and mind had other ideas and decided it had enough - it was either go straight to bed or collapse on the spot. Not wanting to collapse on the spot, freak Rob out and end up in the hospital myself, I did the smart thing and went to bed. And damned if I didn't have the first good night's sleep I'd had in weeks. I actually I woke up this morning refreshed and I also didn't give a shit about keeping that stupid job anymore. There was apparently some major chemical reordering done in my system over night and I'm convinced that it's far superior to anything medical science could have provided. I also got a phone call this morning that my dad would be going home today and there was no need to hang out at the hospital since I could just visit him at his house later this evening. This gave me the day free to hang out with Rob, enjoy the perfect weather, write a few blog posts and read a few of my favorite blogs. I did absolutely nothing work related and there will be hell to pay for that in the morning, but for now I'm feeling just fine. And I'd really like it to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment