Sunday, April 15, 2007

I hope I'm a fig tree
I had a performance review at work on Friday which was pretty negative. It boiled down to the fact that I'm too often doing X when I need to be doing Y. There happen to be a lot of reasons why I am the one that always ends up doing X while everyone else has the time to do Y, but those reasons were dismissed as "just excuses". Now I tend to be fairly pragmatic so I resolved to avoid doing X and do only Y from that point forward. Well, as my luck would have it, on Saturday there were circumstances that forced me to do X instead of Y. And thinking about the big picture today I've realized that I will inevitably continue to have to do X instead of Y until such time as I am fired (which could be as soon as next Friday.) At this point you may be wondering what the hell this has to do with a fig tree so let me explain. We have a fig tree in the back yard that was planted way too close to a patio and was pushing the roof off. We cut it down to a stump, but it came back and eventually started pushing the roof off again. We've repeated this several times and I noticed today that it might be time to chop it to the ground once again. Now you might be thinking that I'm hoping that I show that same resiliency as the fig tree if the ax falls for me at work, but what I'm really hoping for is that the ax falls because I'm pushing the roof off. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment