Thursday, April 19, 2007

30 YEARS IS A LONG TIME

My high school is organizing a 30 year reunion for our class of 77.Wow, 30 years.
What have we become?Where have we been?Where are we going?
I am so there.
I have never attended any of the previous reunions but this one,for some reason,holds an appeal to me.30 years is a long time.I look back and I see no regrets...well maybe a few,but they don't involve doing time or male prostitution.In fact,I'm pleased with where I am in life and I think it will be cool to see people I haven't seen in 30 years and probably assumed I was dead via some horrible criminal activity or sitting in a cell trading my celly for a pack of menthols.But maybe I give my dark past more black than it deserves.It wasn't so bad after all and look at me now...parent,grandparent,gainfully employed in a respectable trade combined with a wild ass back story that will and does curl your hair.
Who wouldn't want to share that?
Plus,I'm still relatively thin...gravity hasn't claimed me and I still have hair on all of my head...so self image issues are a non issue,I'm like one of those milfs in the oil of olay adverts. I may be older but god dammit I'm still at the very least semi hot.
Haha!
This development also led me to two hours plus on the phone with one of the organizers and probably the best friend I had in high school but didn't realize it at the time.My talk with Julie (the organizer) was awesome,she was not in my group but was always very kind to me and it was nice to talk with her.Diane (best friend) has had a rough go of it lately,oddly mirroring my own experiences with my parents in their fading hours was altogether different...sad in a good way.We have so much in common now as we did then,and that voice. I hope my insight into parents dying was helpful,and more importantly soothing,cause when my parents were winding down I sure could've used some reassurance and verbal/psychic hugs...mostly I got the suck it up message.
Here's my fantasy:
We rent a red VW bug (Diane's car in high school) me and her and Lanora pull up to the reunion with Mountains "mississippi queen" blaring from the stereo(only now it's CD and not 8 track).We bail out in a cloud of smoke that can only be from the reefer with dumb but knowing grins plastered on our faces in the knowledge that we have taken back a part of time and history and shoved it into the the face of the present.
I would love for that to happen.
I'm so sad these days,and I know there are thousands of reasons for this,but it's a good kind of sadness...the kind of sadness that makes me grow.
I want to rent that red VW in the baddest way.

No comments:

Post a Comment