Monday, April 16, 2007

BRUNCH DAY...

We headed out for mother egans at 11am, and they were closed.Set to open at noon.As we were both starving and Katz's Deli was less than a block away we opted for that.We've been there many times but never reviewed them.
They purport to be an authentic New York Deli,I don't know about all that,years ago it was darker,dingier,louder and ruder.Qualities that are no longer present,but I liked it better back in the day as it seemed like a NY deli I could imagine.
They have all things New York hanging all over the place,but the place is bright...and sterile almost.
Our server convinced me to go for the premium bloody,which by her estimation was way better than the standard bloody.It arrived with a jungle canopy sticking out of it...leafy celery stalk pierced with three olives and a yellow pepper,the glass rimmed with celery salt.After I ordered the standard issue and determined that I had paid an extra 2 bucks for celery salt.The standard issue came with the same salad poking out of it sans celery salt.




I got the yankee pot roast sandwich which ruled.A bit pricey at almost 10 bucks,but a fucking huge sandwich,I took half of it and half the fries home.The cole slaw was respectable.




Ann got the pecan pancakes...To quote her: "They were good...not excellent, but good".





Must have good Bloody Marys or Margaritas - check
Must have good coffee - nope
Must have breakfast food that Rob likes - check
Must have breakfast food that Ann likes - check
Must have good atmosphere - nope
Must have good service - check
Must be in reasonable driving distance - check
Bonus score for smoking section - nope



Katz's gets 5 out of 8 checks.

Then we came home and it was such a beautiful day,we hung out on the front porch and drank some more and played music,live and otherwise.I got a wild hair and went to Planet K to get a sticker for my banjo,and ultimately a skeleton statue of liberty bobble head and a new coffay cup for Ann.








I took Irene with me and they are pet friendly,so she got to run around loose in a head shop. I also went to Waterloo records and scored the mondo depressing The River by Bruce Springsteen and at Ann's request,a greatest hits CD of Foreigner.(That CD induced much loud cackling...dirty white boy indeed!) Normally,they are pet friendly, but they were having a 25th anniversary celebration with a big parking lot concert and Irene couldn't come inside.The bouncer was way cool and watched her for me while I was in and out. She was a big hit everywhere we went and I learned something about the Beenz...she will hang out in the front yard sans leash and stay in the yard without constant supervision...she also loves our neighbor Jen.
We finally moved to the back deck to include Theo,who is older,grumpier and less social.




All in all,a superlative sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment